Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Years Resolutions

It's that time of year again. The end. And also the beginning. As I look back over the year, I am torn. There have been some wonderful moments and some heartbreaking ones. Moments where I wish I would have tried harder, did better, been stronger and other moments where the pride of being a mommy just threatened to overwhelm me.

I might talk about those moments another day, but right now I want to think about the coming year. I have so many plans, so much hope and drive to make this year the best yet. Even then, I'm really trying to make this year the best yet so that the following year will be even better! I'm calling 2013 Year of the Nest. The reason for this is because I'm calling 2014 Year of the Baby. I've been teasing my husband, saying "2014: Year of the Baby. Confirmed!" It's not confirmed though. It's up in the air. It depends on many things. I really want a third child. I think my husband does too, but he has a few reservations. So he's calling it 2014: Year of the Baby Negotiations.

We have a lot of things to accomplish before we consider adding to our family. My husband is working towards his Accounting degree. He'll be done at the end of 2013 and will be looking for a good paying job. My health needs to improve and by that, I mean I need to lose weight. I need to be more faithful in my housekeeping duties and work harder to be more organized. And the biggest one of all: We need a bigger house.

So that's what 2013 is all about. Nesting. Preparing. Working hard to get things in order so that if and when the time comes, we're ready. And if the time never comes? That's ok because these things need to happen anyway.

So here is my list of "Resolutions" for 2013.


  1. Go to the gym at least 5 days a week, no excuses. 
  2. Make a conscious effort to teach the children good cleaning habits and be a good example myself. 
  3. Set aside money each month to put towards a new, bigger rental. 
I only have three because I think if I do these things, it will make a big difference in the coming year. For the first, I'm joining Anytime Fitness gym next week. Nate and his friends go every day and so I'll be going with them when I can (when the kids are in school) and on days that Julia doesn't have school, I'll be going on my own. I'll be following their workout plan and focusing a lot on strength training and building stamina. What I won't be doing is focusing on the number on the scale. My goal is not "lose weight." My goal is "build strength, increase fitness." I know I will lose weight as a side effect, but I think it will be more motivating to see my strength increase than to worry about the fluctuating number on the scale. I'll be keeping the blog updated with my progress.

Secondly, I'm not a housekeeper. Some women are born organized and capable of keeping their house under control. I'm not. I get overwhelmed easily and I'm the person who likes to throw blinders on when they're overwhelmed. If you don't acknowledge it, it goes away, right? Well unfortunately, that hasn't worked so far. Because of my attitude towards housework, my children don't understand the necessity of cleaning up after themselves and helping around the house. I haven't set a good example and so it's a battle to get them to clean up their room. This year, it will be different. We're working together to implement organizational plans and cleaning schedules to make sure that at the end of the day, the house is clean and ready for the next day. I'm sure to some of you, this sounds like "duh...", but for us, it's been a tough battle to get to this frame of mind. 

Thirdly, we need a bigger house. Even if 2014: Year of the Baby never comes to fruition, this tiny house is not big enough for a family of 4. We need money for a deposit and the actual moving. I don't want to wait until Nate has a better paying job. I want to be ready to move as soon as we can afford the increased rent. So we're setting aside as much as we can for this purpose. 

I'm feeling hopeful. I believe I can accomplish these things this year and I intend to stay accountable on my blog. I know that if I can just do these things for one day, that's all that matters. I don't need to worry about going to the gym every day for an entire year. I just need to worry about today. And when I wake up tomorrow, I'll do it again. Just one more day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment