Thursday, February 21, 2013

Never Alone

Do you ever feel alone, even when you're not? I do. I could be at home surrounded by my family and feel lonely. Sometimes I feel like no one understands me and no one wants to. I feel as though it's me against the world. Do you ever get in a funk like that?

I was listening to Pandora last night and an old hymn came on, one of my favorites.

        What a friend we have in Jesus, 
	all our sins and griefs to bear! 
	What a privilege to carry 
	everything to God in prayer! 
	O what peace we often forfeit,
	O what needless pain we bear, 
	all because we do not carry 
	everything to God in prayer.
I'm a worrier. If you know me, you probably know this about me. I think it's because I've never had much stability in my life and so I'm always trying to imagine the worst and trying to figure out what I'll do if it happens. I like to have a plan. It makes me feel secure if I know how I'll deal with something should it happen. Unfortunately, it means I'm constantly thinking of negative things and worrying. Sometimes I get anxious and afraid. The worst part? Most times there's nothing to be anxious or afraid of!

But oh, how much easier it would be if I simply remembered these words. "What a friend we have in Jesus." I have amazing friends and a great husband. But at some point, every single person in my life will let me down, just as I'll let others down. But Jesus will never let me down. Jesus will never scoff at my fears or get angry at my worries. Jesus will never think I'm ridiculous. In fact, not only will He listen, not only will He help carry the load, He'll take the burden from us entirely! 1 Peter 5: 6-7 says "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, casting all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you."

Isn't that a relief? We can cast ALL our cares up on Him. Everything. Every worry, every fret, every annoyance. We can give them all to Him. I think it's one of those things that comes with practice, or "fake it till you make it." It should be second nature to turn to God, but it's not. Not yet, anyway, I often lay in bed worrying when I should be praying. How many sleepless nights have there been, when I could have handed it over to God and slept in peace?

What a privilege we have. Prayer is a privilege. Talking to God is a privilege. It's not a duty that we as a Christians have, it's not something we do for God because He asks us to, it's not a tradition or sacrament. It's a privilege, a blessing, a gift. I don't know about you, but I don't pray nearly enough. I think if I did, I wouldn't feel so alone or worried sometimes.

My challenge is to get out of my own head and lean on Jesus more. Maybe you've already learned how to trust and depend on Him. Maybe you're still struggling, like I am. Do you have words of encouragement? Do you want prayer? I'd love it if you left a note below.


No comments:

Post a Comment