Monday, March 4, 2013

Things You Should Be Proud Of - 52 Lists Week 3

Wow! Yesterday, with the addition of Mel, my sister, to the blog, we saw an all time high of viewers, triple what the blog normally sees! You guys love you some Mel, that's for sure!

Last week didn't see much action on the blog. I don't really have a good reason other than I was distracted with other things, such as my pictures. But that shouldn't really happen again, now that there's two of us. Hopefully one can pick up the others slack!

This is week 3 of the 52 Lists in 52 weeks series and I have a feeling this might be a toughie for me. I tend to be down on myself much more than I ought to be and this weeks list is to name things I should be proud of. Well, here goes!

Things I Should Be Proud Of


1. I am a kind and compassionate woman. Maybe not always and maybe not enough, but I am.

2. I am teaching my children to be strong, independent and compassionate.

3. I believe in the value of the arts and that learning music is as important as learning language. 

4. I believe that love is not a feeling and that a marriage is not convenient nor easy.

5. I'm a stand-by-your-man kind of girl and a momma bear kind of mom. Don't mess with my family.

6. Singing brings me immense joy and peace. There is truly no feeling more incredible than belting out the climax of a song and nailing it. 

7. I've never fulfilled my dream of singing the national anthems (yes, both of them) at a sporting event, but I HAVE gotten a dream come true to sing at my sisters wedding, even though I couldn't be there in person. 

8. I have friends that I love like brothers. I truly know what it means that family is more than blood. 

9. I have gone to the gym for two months in a row and have seen my strength increase greatly. Sometimes I have slacked off, but my resolve to get in shape and lose weight has never wavered and I always get back to it and push myself a bit harder.

10. I believe that a person is not defined by their political or religious affiliation and that there is good to be found in everyone, but not everyone is worth the effort to search for it.

11. I'm proud of the relationship I have with my husband. We often clash and we're both stubborn and proud, but underneath it all, we have a bond that I believe will endure.

12. I'm proud of my pictures. I believe that I have a little skill, at least with editing, and I'm hoping to turn my little hobby into an actual skill and talent some day. 

13. I believe in the value of education. I've caught myself acting like a "tiger-mom" when poor Damien is doing his kindergarten homework and I realized I didn't care. I believe that the most important thing a person learns in school is how to learn and I will happily shove that down my kids' throats for the next 12 years.

14. I've grown a thicker skin over the last decade. Maybe it comes with age, maybe with experience, but it's there now and for the most part, I'm happy with it. I've learned that there will always be someone who doesn't like you, has something mean to say or thinks you're a bad wife/mother/person/whatever. I've learned to let it go and not take everything personally.

15. I'm proud that I've actually gotten to number 15! I know, I know, that's cheating, but I think I'm learning to love myself more and that's something I'm proud of.

16. I think this list is supposed to be about things I'm proud of in myself, but I can't talk about pride without talking about the two most important people in my life (well, besides my kids which really goes without saying.) I'm insanely proud of my husband and my sister. Both of them inspire me to be a better person and to push forward through adversity to achieve my goals. I'm proud that I get to be a part of their lives. 

17. I'm proud of the relationship I have with my mother-in-law. We haven't always seen eye to eye and have had rough patches, but I can truly say that I love her and consider her a friend and I'm proud of that.

18. I'm proud of my faith. It's been shaken over the years and questioned, but it's still there and I want to pass it down to my children. Perhaps not in the same form, but I believe in the importance of having faith and believing in something larger than yourself. 

19. Oh goodness, two more! I'm proud of my writing. I believe I have a unique conversational tone and descriptive ability. I'm proud of my ability to communicate and I think I have a solid grasp on the English language. 

20. I'm proud of my resilience. I've been through more storms in my life than I care to count, but I have survived and thrived and I know that no matter what life throws my way, I will survive. I will not give up.

So, what are you proud of?

No comments:

Post a Comment